Tuesday, June 12, 2007

It Happened Last Night - Apple Pro Sessions

For myself, as well as for most of the photographers I know, the vast majority of the images I've made the past forty years (since I was a twelve year-old) exist on film so... when Gene Mopsik, ASMP's Executive Director, asked me to speak at the ASMP/Apple Pro Sessions, I quickly began thinking about what I might show. Those first thoughts were immediately followed by a minor panic attack as I realized that just about everything I want to show exists on film in one (or another) of the many steel filing cabinets which populate my office, and, of course, this would have to be an all-digital presentation.

A week of frenzied scanning ensued and it finally came to a close yesterday afternoon. As the departure deadline neared, I decided that six slide shows was going to have to be enough (actually, there were seven but one was just the credits, with pictures!).

I showed the six slide shows, each of the first four representing a unique body of work. The fifth is my actual portfolio. The sixth recaps an ongoing stock photo project and the seventh, as already mentioned... the credits. I then showed, using the Internet, "how all of this is promoted and marketed... moved from my desktop to yours."

I think, judging from audience reaction, that the presentation was well received. (and, yes, I was shooting during the presentation)

Anyway, it went off without a hitch if you don't count the fact that my Macbook's screen saver cuts in very rapidly and had a tendency to take over right in the middle of whatever point I was trying to make... I got through it.

Also pleased to see (among the sixty or so who attended) one of my neighbors, my cousin Rachel (my first cousin's daughter... took her out to dinner after, living so far from her parents I've gotta be sure she's eating, it's the Jewish mother in me); and Julia Graham, CEO of APA/NY (first row on right, green dress), Louisa Curtis of Chatterbox, Matthew Schwab (a new ASMP-NJ member); Robin Schwartz, an old ASMP/APC friend I haven't seen in 25 years... and great to meet many others who stayed to chat after the presentation.

Throughout the entirety of my preparations I'm pleased to report that my trusty Nikon LS-2000 Super Coolscan never missed a beat (or a pixel), and for that I really have to thank my friend David Riecks, who advised that I buy the VueScan software that drives it when I migrated to MacOS X two years ago.

Thanks, David. And thanks to all who attended, it was great seeing or meeting you. Perhaps we'll have this opportunity again someday?

--
Above: Canon EOS-5D, 28~105/3.5~4.5 Canon EF Ultrasonic lens, ISO 1600

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Just checking back in on your blog...Glad to hear your class went so well. I really wish my daughter would have been able to attend.
Within 24 hours of passing along your knowledge on how to copyright a photo, my daughter applied it to select photos on her blog (carlyssingaporesummer). Thanks for leaving a comment on her blog as well.
Lisa

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home