Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Better Late Than Never -or- Maybe I'm Just Ahead Of My Time

Last Friday night, the New Jersey Chapter of ASMP held its annual Holiday Party. I know, I know, it was after the New Year but, better late than never, I always thought. Anyway, this was the plan and we hatched it in November 2006, we did it purposely.

About 40 people (members and their guests) attended and we each brought a grab-bag gift. We set them up around a Christmas tree and everyone drew a number out of a bowl. We picked in number order, and beginning with number two, the next person could either pick a gift from under the tree or steal a gift from someone else who'd already selected theirs. Sounds a little weird but it was a lot of fun!

In the end I got a book called "Window Seat" by Julieanne Kost. It's a photo and Photoshop book all in one, but it relies on original images photographed through airplane windows. Lots of wings, jet engines and all that can be seen beyond, the images are then processed and enhanced in Photoshop (therein lies the tutorial for which Julieanne's become famous).

Anyone who's ever shot through an airplane window knows that the contrast is often lacking and the windows are often scratched resulting in softened images. I've noticed this plenty because in all the years I've been traveling, I've made tens of thousands of such photographs. I've long loved my set of airline-induced images, and now I know what to do with them. Out of the files they come, ready for a new life as fine art prints, enhanced in Photoshop, and with new inspiration courtesy of Julieanne Kost's book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home