Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Today Is Flag Day

Having both feet planted firmly left of center, I’ve never really been the flag-waving type. However, as a commercial artist I know a good icon when I see one. Shortly after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 on New York and Washington, President Bush made a televised speech to the nation and, at the close, urged all Americans to fly the flag as a gesture of solidarity.
Within 24 hours the American Flag began appearing in places where it hadn't appeared
previously, in some of the most unlikely

places and in ways not usually seen. Recognizing the significance of the response from the American people to their President's request, I immediately began documenting these displays. People continue to hang flags almost five years later (I guess "these colors *don't* run!") and I'm still photographing flags wherever I go.



With over 1500 American Flag images (and growing) in my collection, these are some of my favorites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home