Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Do You Ever Wonder?

Do you ever wonder what a photo credit tastes like? How about this: do you ever wonder how many miles per photo credit (MPCs) your car gets? I do. I also wonder if these thoughts ever cross the mind of people whose job description includes asking me for permission to publish my images, promising only a photo credit as compensation. Don't you?

This morning I received an e-mail via Flickr from a woman at the Irish Museum Of Modern Art saying,
I'm contacting you regarding the touring exhibition and monograph publication of the artist Lynda Benglis currently being prepared by the Irish Museum of Modern Art. As a comparative image to one of her pieces, we would like to include your image of the Statue of Liberty torch. Would you allow us permission to copy the image for an edition of 3,000 worldwide English copies? If so, can you send a high res copy? We will credit you as the author, though we might possibly want to crop it to only include the arm and flame. Would you allow that as well?

I'm wondering why she didn't ask to borrow my bicycle, too! Aren't you?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! very nice Blog here!
Greetings from Argentina.
I'll keep in touch.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Rich Green said...

That's why I wondered why you were on Flickr. Aren't you only attracting people who want it for free?

7:38 AM  
Blogger Joe P. said...

Rich... These days, you have to be everywhere.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Jacki L Taylor said...

Did you ask her if you allowed all of this would they send a check to your mortgage company as well as the photo credit?

5:07 PM  
Blogger Walter Dufresne said...

I typically "apologize" a couple of times a year when I explain that I can't license the work for nothing, and that it represents another of my failures: that I failed to make enough money in the latest stock market boom to retire and give away my licenses. My goal is to make work both beautiful and compelling, making their decision to not budget for licensing fees its own kind of failure.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Web Site said...

Do you have a nice bicycle?

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Michael Colby said...

I'm surprised she didn't ask you for a cash donation as well. Did she at least offer you a pint of brew as compensation?

12:29 PM  
Blogger Dave Barnard said...

What, no fee to be in the book? Pshaw. I think if this were a serious prestigeous contest (PDN etc) and you needed visibility ... maybe.

Are all the other images freebees? Maybe she needs your bicycle for distribution?

Nice blog, and on point.
Dave Barnard
Associate ASMP and APA LA
in Reno

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home